Friday, March 11, 2011

Gram's Chocolate Pie


It has been one week since my gram died. I still can't really believe she's gone. I came home a day early for her funeral and when I walked through my front door both of my parents were busting about the kitchen preparing foods that my gram was known for: chopped liver, and fudge. I decided to contribute my favorite dish that my gram made, her chocolate pie. It was one of my favorite dishes at thanksgiving and I will always associate it with her. I asked for the recipe a few years ago and expected her to head for the kitchen and shuffle around in her recipe box for the card. Instead she instructed me to get a pen and paper and proceeded to dictate the recipe to me from memory. She was the smartest person I'll ever know and she loved her family more than anything. I hope my pie made her proud.


Gram's chocolate pie

2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla
a pinch of salt
1/2 stick butter
a pre baked pie shell

Mix cornstarch, cocoa, and sugar. Scald milk and add dry ingredients. Cook on medium heat until it forms bubbles and the bubbles are popping. Add the vanilla, salt, and butter. Pour into the prepared crust and cool. It's really important that the crust be completely cooled before you add the filling.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about your grandma's passing. Grandmas really are special people, and I'm so glad you appreciated her. Thank you for sharing her recipe. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I really appreciate that. Grandma's are also always the best cooks. You're welcome. Thank you for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete