Saturday, January 8, 2011

Lemon Madeleines


I have good news for you all. I got photoshop and a new camera lens. So the quality of my pictures should improve a lot. I also got a madeleine pan for Christmas so of course that was one of the first things I got around to making. To be honest I was a little afraid of making these little cakes. They're French so I instantly assumed they would be hard, but I'm happy to report that they aren't hard at all. There's hardly any measuring, No elaborate techniques, but you will need a little patience because you do need to chill the dough for three hours. I have to bad habit of not reading recipes all the way through before I start them which is why I was baking off these cookies at 10PM. They were well worth it but don't be like me always look ahead.

Lemon Madeleines
(adapted from Savory Sweet Life)
Ingredients

3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 lemon, zested
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Directions

Combine flour and baking powder. Attach the whisk attachment to your stand mixer put it on medium high speed and beat eggs and sugar until thickened and lightened in color, about 2 to 4 minutes.

Add in lemon zest and vanilla. Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold-in dry ingredients, and then melted butter. Cover batter with plastic wrap and Chill for at least 3 hours.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spoon batter into the molds, filling them almost to the top.

Bake on the center rack for 8 to 11 minutes. Remove the madeleines by gently running a paring knife around the edges of the cookies and then invert the pan over a cooling rack. Makes about two dozen.

2 comments:

  1. I love all things lemon and these look wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I've recently started to like citrus myself. It makes winter a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete