Monday, May 23, 2011

banana Bread French Toast


I was driving home from work about a week ago when I suddenly had a food epiphany. Honestly I love it when that happens. I'll be milling ideas around in my head about what I might want to make when I get home and then suddenly something strikes me. That's how I came up with s'mores bark and I'm excited to say that I have a few more food epiphany recopies coming your way. In any case I think this one turned out great. The banana bread is made with healthy ingredients so when you slather it in butter and syrup you don't have to feel so bad. Enjoy!

Banan Bread French Toast

Banana Bread
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together.
Add eggs, and mix well.
Stir in bananas and vanilla, then stir in flour, salt and cinnamon.
Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. (Does anyone know why you add the baking soda to hot water? I’m curious.)
Spread batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.
Sprinkle with cinnamon, and swirl with a toothpick for a pretty marbled effect.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Be sure to check that the bread is done baking by inserting a toothpick in the top. It should come out clean.
Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing.

French Toast Batter

1 cup half-and-half
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together in a shallow casserole dish. Slice the banana bread into half inch slices and dredge in the batter. Melt a pat of butter in a frying pan and place the bread in the pan. Fry until golden brown on the outside and then flip and repeat. Top French toast with maple syrup, whipped cream, and sliced bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment