Friday, May 13, 2011

Italian Sausage Ragu and I'm an Idiot

You'll notice that this post has not picture that is because I'm an idiot. I made Italian sausage ragu with penne pasta for my family last night. My mom cleaned up the kitchen and put away the left over last night. I came home after work today with a very grumbly tummy. I took out a container of my left over pasta and devoured it. I thought that there was a second container of pasta in the fridge but I was wrong. I ate all the evidence of the delicious meal so you have no picture but, this pasta was so delicious and easy that I have to share it any way. So, do me a favor and picture a big white china plate topped with a heaping serving of penna tossed with thick luscious tomato sauce with chunks of tomatoes and little bit of Italian sausage, sprinkled with grated Parmesan and chopped parsley. After you're done picturing that please proceed to make this pasta.

Italian Sausage Ragu

1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
6 Italian-style pork sausages (about 500g), casings removed
1 tblsp rosemary leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup red wine
1 tblsp tomato paste
400g can chopped tomatoes
1lb. short pasta, such as fusilli or penne
Parmesan cheese, to serve

Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until softened.
Add the sausage meat, rosemary and garlic, breaking up the sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the meat is browned.
Add the wine to the pan and let it bubble for 2-3 minutes, until reduced slightly.
Stir in the tomato paste, then add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, stir, then increase heat and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the mixture is reduced.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
Toss the drained pasta with the ragu and top with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment